RiverScape Paddling Rentals
Rent kayaks and stand-up paddleboards to explore the Great Miami River and RiverScape River Run in downtown Dayton.
Note: Due to COVID-19, paddling rentals will be unavailable in 2020. Learn more.
In June 2019, RiverScape Rentals launched a paddlesport rental option at RiverScape MetroPark. The paddlesport rentals are being offered in partnership with Whitewater Warehouse and are supported by the Five Rivers MetroParks Foundation.
Your Paddling Experience
The paddlesport rentals are targeted at beginner and first-time paddlers, and the inflatable vessels are designed for those new to paddling to have a fun, successful experience.
Visitors will receive at least one full hour of paddling in the Great Miami River. They can paddle in the river area from RiverScape MetroPark to Deeds Point MetroPark. If they choose, visitors also can paddle:
- under the Five Rivers Fountain of Lights, which runs at the top of every hour.
- through the RiverScape River Run whitewater feature, once or numerous times. Whitewater Warehouse staff can help you try river surfing and playing in the waves below the whitewater feature. Visitors must be at least 14 years old to paddle through or play in RiverScape River Run.
Whitewater Warehouse staff will provide visitors with brief instruction prior to entering the water, which will include a safety tutorial, and help visitors get into their vessels.
All visitors will be required to wear a properly fitted lifejacket, and those who paddle through RiverScape River Run will be required to wear helmets. Both will be included with the rental, along with other safety equipment.
If you plan to bring a group of 10 or more, it’s helpful if you call Five Rivers MetroParks 24 hours in advance at (937) 278-2607 so that we can better prepare. You may also email Whitewater Warehouse in advance at email@example.com.
Swimming is prohibited in the Great Miami River, but visitors should come prepared to get wet.
No lifeguards are on duty, and paddling is at all visitors’ own risk. All visitors must sign a waiver to participate.
Age and Weight Requirements
Visitors must be at least 8 years old and weigh at least 50 pounds to participate.
- Ages 8 to 13: Can paddle with an adult in a tandem kayak in the flatwater section.
- Ages 14 to 15: Can paddle a solo kayak or SUP. A parent or guardian must be present at RiverScape MetroPark, either in the river or on the shore, and monitor their children.
- Ages 16 to 17: Can paddle without the supervision of an adult, but a parent or guardian must be present to sign the waiver.
The maximum weight for participation is 325 pounds. All participants must wear a lifejacket, and the maximum chest size for proper fit is 52 inches.
The maximum combined weight (of both people) in a tandem kayak is 450 pounds.
- All participants must wear a life jacket at all times while on the water. See age and weight restrictions above.
- All participants must wear a helmet when running or playing in the whitewater feature.
- It is recommended that participants wear a helmet when stand-up paddleboarding on the river.
- Shoes are recommended, ideally ones with a closed toe and a heel strap. Flip-flops are not recommended.
- Always remain seated while kayaking. Do not stand or sit on the edge of the kayak.
- Swimming is not permitted.
- Alcohol and drugs are not permitted.
- In case of thunderstorms, participants will have to vacate the water for 20 minutes once lightning has been spotted.
- Paddle at your own risk!
- Once you have chosen to participate, there are no refunds for changes in the weather.