Published August 7, 2023
National Farmers Market Week, Sunset at the Market and more
National Farmers Market Week Celebration
2nd Street Market, and the Farmers Market Coalition invites the community to celebrate National Farmers Market Week through Saturday, August 12. Shop the 2nd Street Market and stop by activities such as a community quilting project with 2nd Street Market vendor Chloe Brzozowski from Marie’s B. Mobile Mending. Chloe will be a guide as market-goers craft a “Farmers Gratitude Quilt” that, once complete, will hang in the Market. Chloe will attach cut-out fabric produce and pollinator shapes which will be a template for folks to write and share their love of farmers and the Market.
The quilting project will be active Thursday, August 10 (during Sunset at the Market) from 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM, and Saturday, August 12 during normal Market hours.
Sunset at the Market
Join us for Sunset at the Market, the first in a series of special evening shopping events on Thursday, Aug. 10 as we continue our celebration of National Farmers Market Week.
Kicking off the evening at 5:10 PM will be a speaking event featuring special guest, Ambassador Tony Hall with Hall Hunger Initiative raising awareness for the importance of supporting locally sourced food. Five Rivers MetroParks sustainability manager, Tim Pritchard will also be sharing information about the things everyone can do to help heal our planet. In addition, we’ve invited local growers, Anita Armstead of Eden’s Harvest and David Sparks of Guided by Mushrooms to share their thoughts on the importance of sustainable, local food access. Also, in attendance will be Kim Freeman (Interim) Director of Health Promotion for Dayton & Montgomery Co. Health, as well as local, state and federal government representatives showing their solidarity with our local farmers.
The Market will open to the public from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM for shopping and sharing in the celebration with activities that include the continuing community Farmers Gratitude Quilt project, live music with a performance by Ramblin’ Rhythm, along with a Chocolate & Melon Tasting with peak season melons varieties grown locally by several of the Market farmers. The melons will be paired with single origin sourced chocolates from Market vendor Peace on Fifth. Be sure to join us as we celebrate our Market community and give thanks to our local farmers.
2nd Street Market program series highlights Hispanic Heritage in September
The Culture Kitchen series is back with a very special dinner reserved for Sept. 14 from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM, hosted by Chef Santiago Herrera of Napales Mexican Street Food and Karina Tafolla of Yellow Springs Bakery Co. These Chefs will delight you with their authentic cuisine from their home state of Michoacan, Mexico, along with sharing stories of their heritage. Registration is required and seating is limited. Be sure not to miss this opportunity for experience regional, authentic Mexican cuisine.
Welcome Choice Juice Boxx to the 2nd Street Market
Join us in welcoming a new permanent vendor Choice Juice Boxx. A part time vendor at the Market for over a year, with a flagship location downtown, Choice Juice Boxx aims to create a healthy and natural product that promotes a healthy lifestyle as an eco-friendly juicer.
2nd Street Market programming and events are presented by Dayton Children’s.
- Aug. 10, (5:30 PM to 8 PM) Sunset at the Market series welcomes a musical performance by Ramblin’ Rhythm, an Americana band that features the talents of Eric Burgasser & J.R. Lucas. As a duo, they’re celebrating their 9th year of playing bluegrass, country, blues, folk and rock throughout the state of Ohio for folks of all ages.
- Aug. 12, (10 AM to 1 PM) Music at the Market with Emily Rose. Emily Rose is a Dayton local and a self-taught musician who plays cover songs of all genres. From Johnny Cash to Adele, even Disney, she makes acoustic covers of her own sound.
- Aug. 13, (11:30 AM to 1:30 PM) Music at the Market with Colin Richards who plays all original psychedelic Blues.
- Aug. 19, (10 AM to 1PM) Music at the Market with Mike Sedmak. Mike Sedmak is known for his creative and expressive instrumental guitar playing featuring an eclectic blend of music from classic oldies, classic rock and pop music genres.
- Aug. 20, (11:30 AM to 1:30 PM) Music at the Market with Marianne Kesler. Marianne will be sharing her acoustic folk/pop tunes.
- Aug. 26, (10 AM to 1 PM) Music at the Market with singer/songwriter Harmonic Neil who plays everything from 100-year-old Americana/Spirituals, 16-century folk tunes, fluffy pop, classic rock, originals and, of course, the roots of American music, the Blues.
- Aug. 27, (11:30 AM to 1:30 PM) Music at the Market with Bettina Solas. Bettina is a musician, singer and songwriter who has been performing publicly for over 20 years. She plays and sings Celtic, folk, traditional, original, renaissance, classic rock and 80’s music in a relaxing and family-friendly style. While her primary instrument is the autoharp, she also plays the lap dulcimer, bowed psaltery and bodhran, among other instruments.
During Hunger Action Month, The Food Bank will be visiting the 2nd Street Market for a “Stuff the Truck” food drive event from 9 AM to 3 PM on Saturday, Sept. 2 and 30. After the event, barrels for collecting additional donations will be accessible throughout the Market during the entire month of September. This food drive is to provide support to children experiencing food insecurity in Miami Valley. The products being requested by the community are easy access, cold food geared towards children (shelf-stable, pop-tops, easily accessible).