Published March 10, 2023
Gear up for Bike Month with MetroParks cycling programs, resources this spring
Bike Month is this May and you can set yourself up for an entire spring full of cycling fun by checking out MetroParks programs this March and April:
Bike touring: For those who want to see local sights or perhaps even make a vacation out of a cycling adventure, bike touring is a great option. Whether you wish to pack for a single day excursion or a longer trip, MetroParks’ bike touring programs provide you with the resources needed for a fun, safe experience. Bonus: Your human-powered mode of transportation keeps you in great shape and lessens your carbon footprint.
- Tuesday, March 14: Bicycle Touring in the Miami Valley at Cox Arboretum MetroPark, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Ages 14 and up; $5/person. Registration is required.
- Tuesday, March 21: Bicycle Touring: Styles, Routes & Resources at Possum Creek MetroPark, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Ages 14 and up; $5/person. Registration is required.
- Tuesday, March 28: Bicycle Touring: Bikes & Bags at Possum Creek MetroPark, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Ages 14 and up; $5/person. Registration is required.
Maintaining your bike: As with most gear, it is important to take time for regular maintenance – this includes your bike. Learn from MetroParks’ cycling pros as they help you with everything from common brake repairs to drive-train maintenance.
- Tuesday, April 11: Bicycle Maintenance 1 at Possum Creek MetroPark, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Ages 14 and up; $12/person. Registration is required.
- Tuesday, April 27: Bicycle Maintenance 2 at Possum Creek MetroPark, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Ages 14 and up; $15person. Registration is required.
Save the Date for Bicycle Maintenance 2: Shifters & Derailleurs on May 4, as we celebrate Bike Month.
Mountain Biking: As opposed to biking on paved trails, mountain biking allows people to experience biking on natural surface trails, as they encounter different terrain, challenges and more.
Located at Huffman MetroPark, MetroParks Mountain Biking Area (MoMBA) is home to 9 miles of mountain biking trail for all ages and experience levels. Trails include a tot trail and advanced black diamond trail. Visit MoMBA any time during the park’s hours of operation. Because spring tends to be rainy, be sure to visit metroparks.org/momba to ensure trails are open before your visit.
No gear? No problem, MetroParks offers mountain bikes and helmets for those of all ages during Try Mountain Biking:
- Tuesday, April 4: Try Mountain Biking at MoMBA, from 4 to 7 p.m. Free for all ages. No registration is required.
Can’t make this date? Mark your calendar for the next Try Mountain Biking during Bike Month.
Just getting started?
Whether you have taken a break from cycling during the winter or it’s been a few years since you were on a bike, here are some resources that can help you get ready to ride:
TIPS & HOW-TO VIDEOS
WEBSITES & MAPS
SAVE THE DATE
Save the date for MetroParks annual National Bike to Work Day Pancake Breakfast on May 19, from 7 to 9 a.m. at RiverScape MetroPark. Enjoy flying flapjacks, live music and find community resources that help you Get Out & Ride. Learn more.
Make a day of it and head to the Miami Valley Cycling Summit immediately following MetroParks’ Bike to Work Day event. Learn more.