June 17 2022
7 last minute ideas for an outdoor Father’s Day adventure
Father’s Day is this Sunday and if you are still trying to think of an awesome experience to share with your dad or father figure, consider an outing in one of your 18 clean, safe MetroParks. Dads of all ages and interests enjoy spending time in the outdoors and as an added bonus; outdoor experience in your MetroParks are free (or low cost) and help your entire family maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.
Here are seven fun, affordable Father’s Day adventures you can gift for a later date or experience this weekend in your Five Rivers MetroParks.
- Family camp out: Offering both front and back country campsites, your MetroParks are the perfect location for some family time under the starts. Camp sites are available at Possum Creek, Englewood, Germantown and Twin Creek MetroPark, and can be booked online at metroparks.org/easy.
No gear? No problem, MetroParks offers camping packages that include a reserved frontcountry campsite where your camping equipment such as a six-person tent, sleeping bags and stove are set up and broken down for you. These packages are offered on select Saturdays and are for those who may be new to camping or need a little more support setting up gear.
Five Rivers MetroParks also offers weekend equipment rentals, which include camping and backpacking gear. Renting gear allows you to try gear before purchasing it and explore new outdoor recreation opportunities.
- Hold your horses: Connecting with nature on horseback is a unique experience and something dads will love. Schedule a weekend trail ride at Carriage Hill Riding Center. These hour-long guided rides can be scheduled through October and for those ages 8 and up.
- Foodie fathers: While some dads specialize in frozen pizza, many dads enjoy crafting recipes in the kitchen and cooking on the grill. Stop at the 2nd Street Market to pick up fresh, local produce, desserts, meats, breads and more, and then spend some quality time with your dad creating the perfect summer meal. The 2nd Street Market is open Friday and Sundays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Learn more about the Market’s offerings at metroparks.org/localfood.
- Gone fishing: Grab your poles and tackle box and get ready for a classic dad outdoor activity – fishing. There are many beautiful fishing spots in MetroParks that don’t require a license. Just remember to beat the heat with proper water, snacks and sun protection. Find your new favorite fishing hole.
- Take to the trails: Dads who enjoy spending time outdoors will love the variety of trails experiences the MetroParks Trails Challenge offers. Signing up is free and you have from now until Oct. 31 to complete as many trails you can for the chance to win prizes. Hike, paddle, mountain bike, cycle, and horseback ride just a few or all 28 trails selected by MetroParks outdoor recreation team. Learn more.
- Plan a paddle: Kayak rentals at RiverScape MetroPark are back for summer 2022. On Thursdays from 4 to 8 p.m. and during select special events, Taiters Kayaking Solutions will be at RiverScape MetroPark launching from under the Riverside Bridge along the Great Miami Recreation Trail. Paddling sessions are one hour and for those ages 14 and up. Life jackets are required.
- Cool off: You’re never too old to accompany your kiddo for a splash session at the sprayground or to enjoy an ice cream cone at RiverScape MetroParks’ Fountain Snack Bar. While there is no swimming in MetroParks, we do have fun ways for you to cool off with your family on Father’s Day. Learn more.