June 14 2022
Safe ways to cool down in your MetroParks
While there is no swimming in your Five Rivers MetroParks, there are still opportunities for you to splash on hot days. Visit one of the following locations for a cool down now through Labor Day:
- Island MetroPark (101 E. Helena St., Dayton): This park features both a traditional playground and a sprayground. Hours are:
- Memorial Day through Aug. 16: 11 a.m. to 7:50 p.m. Monday through Saturday; 1 to 7:50 p.m. Sundays
- August 16 through Labor Day: 4 to 7:50 p.m. Monday through Friday; 11 a.m. to 7:50 p.m. Saturdays and 1 to 7:50 p.m. on Sundays.
- RiverScape MetroPark: (111 E. Monument Ave., Dayton) The interactive fountain is located at RiverScape’s Festival Plaza from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. After you have finished splashing, visit the Fountain Snack Bar for an ice cream cone or cool beverage. (The Fountain Snack Bar is closed Mondays.)
- Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark (1301 E. Siebenthaler Ave., Dayton): Head to the Children’s Discovery Garden to connect to nature through water play and a variety of sensory activities. The Children’s Discovery Garden is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. through Oct. 31, though water play ends on Labor Day. Note: All groups of 10 or more children must call ahead to schedule. Groups arriving without a reservation will need to wait until all scheduled groups are finished with their activities. Call 937-277-6545 to schedule a visit.
More ways to stay safe on hot days:
- On hot days, many people head to the water to paddle and fish. Remember to always wear a life jacket on or near the water. Learn more about how to pick the right life jacket and stay safe while paddling.
- Stay hydrated: Even if you don’t feel thirsty, it’s important to drink water consistently on hot days. According to verywellhealth.com, adults need 17 to 20 ounces of fluid before beginning an activity, whereas children need 4 to 8 ounces and another 5 to 9 ounces every 20 minutes they are outside. Learn more.
- Dress and prep for the weather: Dressing for the weather is important, as is using sun protection. Be sure to use sunscreen and wear a hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.