Island MetroPark was formerly known as the White City Amusement Park in the late
19th century. The park had a dance pavilion, amusement rides, canoe lockers, refreshment
stand, and other recreation features. By 1907 the park had become run down and not
well maintained. In 1910, Dayton started leasing the park land for $3,000 a year,
and in 1911, a recommendation to buy the land was proposed in the report submitted
by the Olmsted Brothers.