Spending time outside is good for all of us — but is especially important for children.
This outdoor time helps children:
- Develop problem-solving skills, foster cooperation and inspire curiosity.
- Improve physical and mental health.
- Create a connection with nature and develop a long-term appreciation for the natural world.
To make it easier for you to spend time with your kids outdoors and to help build your confidence, Five Rivers MetroParks has launched Let’s Explore family adventures. In addition to what you’ll find in the field and in our latest issue of Parkways, we have prepared a series of guided activities to engage your child’s natural curiosity and sense of adventure in nature.
Explore with our Mobile App:
Let’s Explore is even better with our mobile app, powered by OuterSpatial. The app includes park maps, amenities, points of interest, self-guided tours and more.
Let’s Explore Trips
Englewood MetroPark East Park
4361 W. National Rd. | Park Info
- Start at the nature play area at Patty Shelter.
- Hike the easy 1.5-mile red trail, which takes you by the Old National Road bridge.
Possum Creek Metropark
4790 Frytown Rd. | Park Info
- Start at the nature play area next to the education center.
- Hike the 0.3-mile green trail around the Possum Creek Farm and see how many animals you can spot.
Let’s Explore Activities
Can you jump like a frog, balance on one leg and buzz like a bee?
Hike & Seek
Winter Travelers Search
Winter is a time to look for birds in your backyard, neighborhood or park. Some of the new birds you see may be winter travelers from Canada and Northern United States.