MetroParks Ice Rink
NOTICE: The 2020-2021 season opening is delayed due to COVID-19.
Skate in a new way this winter.
Plans are in place to open the ice rink so you can skate under the pavilion alongside downtown Dayton’s riverfront!
Whether you’re a skating rookie or have been lacing up your skates for decades, and whether you’re looking for a leisurely afternoon with the family or a competitive night on the ice, there is a full slate of activities to choose from at the MetroParks Ice Rink. The ice rink is located within RiverScape MetroPark and features sweeping views of both the Great Miami River and the downtown Dayton skyline. It measures 70 feet by 150 feet and is sheltered under a pavilion. The rink has something for everyone: beginners’ lessons, open skating, broomball and curling, not to mention hot chocolate and music. Ice skating is a great way to experience the outdoors during the cooler weather and provides a winter tradition for Miami Valley families looking for something fun to do together.
Advanced Registration Required
Visitors will need to prepare for a skating experience that’s very different from previous winters at the rink.
- A limited number of people will be allowed to skate at a time.
- Visitors must register and pay at least 24 hrs in advance for a specific 90 minute time slot. Time slot includes check-in, skate fitting and skating. If arriving on-time, guests can expect at least an hour of skating time.
- Admission is a flat fee of $8, including for those with their own skates. Children under 3 are free but also require registration.
- Walk-Up admissions will not be available.
- Season passes are not available.
Online registration available soon.
COVID-19 Safety Precautions
- Masks are required during check in, skating, and skate return in compliance with Ohio Public Health and Five Rivers MetroParks guidelines. Masks will be available if you do not have one.
- The Ice Rink layout has been organized to ensure social distancing. Please maintain at least 6 feet of social distancing.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available to the public.
- Public restrooms and high-touch surfaces will be cleaned frequently.
- Skates will be cleaned after each use.
- Skate helpers will be cleaned after each skating session and self-sanitation options will be available.
- Spectators or non-skaters are welcome, but please be advised that public seating will be limited, and spectator areas will be subject to social distancing guidelines.
- Locker space will not be available.
- Additional safety measures may be required.
Food and Beverages
The RiverScape Café Concession will be open with a limited menu. While the rink is open, you can enjoy delicious treats from the concession area:
|Combo (hot dog, chips & drink)||$5.50||Nachos||$3.00|
|Deluxe Combo (deluxe hot dog, chips & drink)||$6.00||Nachos w/Chili and Cheese||$4.00|
|Deluxe Hot Dog||$4.00||Hot Cocoa||$2.00|
|Soft Pretzel (sweet or salty)||$2.50||Fountain Drink||$2.00|
Rent the Rink
Rentals begin in January. The MetroParks Ice Rink is great for school field trips, office outings, family outings, kids’ parties, club activities, church socials and more. Rink rentals are available on Sunday evenings from 6-8 PM throughout the rink season.
Activities, Lessons and More
Lessons start in January. Take advantage of fun skating activities, such as lessons. Visit our ice skating activities page to learn more.
Stay tuned for plans for 2021. Broomball is a team sport in which players wear shoes rather than skates and use a “broom” (a stick shaped like a broom) to move the ball around the ice and score goals. Rules and strategies are similar to those of ice hockey. To learn more, visit www.DaytonBroomball.org.
Want to play an Olympic sport? Grab some friends and sign up for our curling league! This team sport involves sliding heavy, granite stones across the ice toward a marked target while your teammates sweep the ice with brooms to alter its path. Curling is accessible to all physical skill levels and no experience is required. Registration is $480 per team. Visit www.curltroy.org to learn more and to register your team.