The land where Taylorsville MetroPark now sits has a robust and storied history.
It was once the site of the bustling town of Tadmor, one of the most important centers
of transportation in early Ohio history.
As early as 1809, keelboats were poled up river from Dayton to take on freight from
Tadmor. In 1822, the construction of a canal to connect Lake Erie to the Ohio River
was commissioned. By 1837, the Miami/Erie Canal stretched, through Tadmor, connecting
Cincinnati to Piqua and was finally connected to Lake Erie by 1845. Just two years
later the first federally funded road (The National Road) was constructed through
Tadmor. In 1851, the Dayton & Michigan Railroad established freight and passenger
service to Tadmor. This faster and more dependable mode of transportation eventually
led to the demise of the Miami-Erie Canal. Nevertheless, in 1852, trains, canal
boats, keelboats, and wagon and coaches were heading in all directions from Tadmor.
With all four means of transportation of the day within yards of each other, Tadmor
was truly the Crossroads of America.
The great flood of 1913 put an end to Tadmor. As the Great Miami River swelled out
of its banks, it drowned the stretch of train tracks surrounding the town and destroyed
the aqueducts of the Miami/Erie Canal. When the water retreated, the train tracks
were moved to higher ground and the canal, already in decline, was abandoned. The
Miami Conservancy District took over the land and built the Taylorsville Dam in
1922. Old National Road was moved south to cross the top of the new dam. A structure
or two remained in Tadmor until about 1960, when the last tenants moved out of the
original grain dealer's house and it was demolished.
Today, the Buckeye Trail follows the path of the original Dayton & Michigan Railroad
through the park, and takes walkers and bikers through the ruins of Tadmor for a
glimpse of important regional history.