|Creating active youth leaders through the process of growing, sharing, and selling food.
Teen applications for City Beets
Applications accepted Feb 1 - March 1
Applications and interview preparation sheets can be downloaded from this page or picked up at Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark at 1301 E. Siebenthaler Ave. Dayton, OH 45414. Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Positions are limited and competitive. Only 20 positions are available.
In this summer program, youth ages 12-15 years old:
- Grow vegetables at the Community Garden at Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark
- Learn leadership & job skills
- Sell food at the Saturday PNC 2nd Street Market
- Take local volunteer field trips
- Learn about where food comes from and food systems
- Prepare & eat snacks from harvested food
- Make new friends
When does City Beets Happen?
Youth Managers will attend pre-summer training sessions through May. During the summer, all City Beets youth meet for 8 weeks. Youth are expected to attend all sessions.
Summer sessions are typically as follows:
- Tuesdays (four fieldtrips, dates t.b.a.) 9:00 am-12:30 pm
- Thursdays: 9:00am-12:30pm
- Fridays: 9:00am-12:30 pm
- Saturdays: Several shifts at the PNC 2nd Street Market are required. Times may vary.
Who should apply for City Beets?
Youth ages 12-15 years old who:
- Enjoy being outside
- Have an interest in gardening or business
- Can commit to attend all sessions
- Want a unique summer experience!
What are the benefits?
Youth will learn valuable skills in business, communication, leadership, problem-solving, nutrition, and cooperation. City Beets participants also receive gift cards totaling $100 for satisfactory participation. Youth Managers will recieve $200 in gift cards.
Adults, get involved!
Would you like to get involved with City Beets? We are always seeking City Beets Mentors. Mentors work in the garden, help with nutrition and cooking classes, attend field trips, or a mixture of all three! Please contact Bob Butts at (937) 276-7055 or email@example.com.